Links and Resources
These resources have been selected to help interested social service providers understand social work and Integral theory, providing resources and examples.
The Social Work Profession
- The National Association of Social Workers (NASW)- NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies.
- The NASW Code of Ethics- guides the professional conduct of social workers
- The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)- CSWE is the accrediting body for schools of social work, setting forth Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards (EPAS)
- The Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR)- is a non-profit association committed to improving the support for research among social workers.
Integral Theory and Social Work
- The Center for Post-Trauma Wellness- Provides education and assistance for people who have experienced trauma from abuse, neglect, injuries or other adversities, and for professionals who help them. Using Restorative Integral Support, which includes mind/body therapies and embodies research-informed interventions that address adverse childhood experiences and resilience, the Center for Post-Trauma Wellness offers a cost-effective, comprehensive "whole person approach" to recovery from trauma.
- An overview of Integral Theory- This article was written by Sean Esbjorn-Hargens, PhD, leader of ENACT Integral
- An Introduction to Integral Social Service- This article by David Kerrigan, published in the Journal of Integral Theory & Practice, offers a a beginning application to a case example.
- Social Work as an Integral Profession- This article, published in the Journal of Integral Theory & Practice, demonstrates the way in which Integral Theory transcends, includes, and integrates commonly used micro and macro theoretical perspectives in social work.
- An Integral Perspective on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) research- This article, published in the Journal of Integral Theory & Practice, demonstrates that Integral theory helps to both understand ACE research and fashion comprehensive response strategies.
- Integral management and effective human service provision- This article, published in the Journal of Integral Theory & Practice, shows how Integral theory can be helpful to social service leaders and managers.
- Mental Health Recovery- This article by Vincent R. Starnino, published by the Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment draws on Integral theory to include various historical perspectives on mental health treatment, self help, and recovery.
- An Integral Approach to Social Work- This article by Philip Thomas, published by the Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment leads into consideration of Integral research.
- The Social Work Integral Model- This article by Michelle Garner, published by Families in Society begins to bring an Integral perspective to bear on ethical social work practice.
- Executive Summary of COTS- A service model developed by The Committee on the Shelterless designed to break intergenerational cycles of homelessness and offers a comprehensive approach to addressing adverse childhood experiences (ACEs).
- Integral Methodological Pluralism (IMP)- Integral research engages multiple methodologies to reveal complementary data
- Applied Integral Methodological Pluralism: Designing Comprehensive Social Service Program Evaluation- Integral theory integrates research and evidence-based practices, helps note research gaps, and supports evaluation for effectiveness in local contexts. This paper won the award for best paper in the category of research at the 2010 Integral theory conference.
- An Integral Perspective on Helping Homeless People- Heather Larkin and John Records offered this presentation at the August 2008 Integral Theory Conference.
- The State of the Integral Enterprise- Roger Walsh describes the current state of the integral mission, how to extend and optimize the Integral Theory's impact, how to apply it to our own lives, and what traps might await us.
Integral theory applications across disciplines and professions
- Integral Institute- Integral theory is an all-inclusive framework that draws on the key insights of the world's greatest knowledge traditions. The awareness gained from drawing on all truths and perspectives allows the Integral thinker to bring new depth, clarity and compassion to every level of human endeavor - from unlocking individual potential to finding new approaches to global-scale problems.
- Integral Life Practice- apply Integral theory to self care and self development.
- Integral Life- supports the community of Integral Life Practitioners.
- Integral Social Service- The Committee on the Shelterless (COTS) is the first Integrally-informed and Integrally-developed social service organization.
- Integral Recovery- learn about the application of Integral theory to substance abuse treatment and recovery.
- iAwake- Integrally-informed neuroscience helps understand the impact of meditation on the brain.
- Integral Ecology- the Integral Ecology Center is committed to developing the field of Integral Ecology for people seeking meta-principles in response to our ecological and environmental challenges.
- Integral EFT- Integral concepts help to explain how the emotional freedom technique (EFT) might work and can begin to guide research on this emerging body-oriented practice. The Center for Integrative Psychotherapy supports the incorporation of acupressure techniques by professionally-trained clinicians experienced in trauma treatment.
- Spirituality and Social Work- Ken Wilber's early work was first incorporated into social work by trailblazers like Dr. Ed Canda, at the University of Kansas School of Social Welfare, and Dr. Elizabeth Smith, who developed the Center for Spirituality & Social Work while at the National Catholic School of Social Service. Ed Canda and Elizabeth Smith are social work pioneers who applied "transpersonal" concepts to support understanding of spiritual development and the role of spirituality in the lives of those served.
- The Journal of Integral Theory and Practice- Authors across fields of practice submit scholarly work to this post-disciplinary peer-reviewed journal, considered the official source for material related to Integral Theory and its application. JITP publishes case studies, integral research, critical dialogues, book reviews, and conference reports.
- The Integral Research Center- supports the global community of Integral scholar-practitioners
- ENACT Integral- get support as you embody, apply, and manifest Integral in carrying out your project, program, or initiative.
- World Builders- Integral theory is applied to provide tools for conscious worldbuilders.
- Integral Healthcare Solutions- Some are applying Integral theory to improve the delivery of health care services around the world by helping health care organizations meet quality, ethical, and legal standards.
- Integral Ventures- One example of applying Integral theory to business.